Monday, February 25, 2013
Starting today, West Side Montessori joins Montessori organizations around the world in celebrating 106 years of the education model developed by Dr. Maria Montessori in 1907. A full slate of activities are planned to celebrate. Below is a list for both campus and all levels:
Parents are invited to explore the students Europe research and work in the library (CH-LE) and the hallway in the west building (UE-MS) on the Toledo campus. Come and see the variety of work samples the students created as part of a school-wide European study.
Monday, Feb. 25
- “M” Day (UE) – Students wore as many items with “M” such as magenta, monkeys, Michigan, and more.
- Scavenger Hunt (LE) – Lower Elementary held a Montessori scavenger hunt.
Tuesday, Feb. 26
- West Side Montessori Logo Wear Day (all levels) – show your school spirit by wearing the special Montessori Education Week t-shirt designed by WSM’s middle school students or WSM logowear. Or simply wear green and white for our school colors.
- Europe Research Presentations (UE) for Ireland, Switzerland, and Czech Republic. (Displays will be in the hallway all week.)
Wednesday, Feb. 27
- Family Sing-a-long (Perrysburg) – In honor of this special week, Little House and Children’s House students and families will join Risa in the Great Room from 8:30-9:15 a.m. for a family sing-a-long.
- Children’s House (Toledo) students will have a visit from Maria Montessori.
- European Art Museum (Perrysburg) – Students have been studying Monet, Matisse, and Kandinsky in depth and will display the artwork re-created during the process. Kindergarteners will serve at docents from 9:15-9:45 a.m.
- Boot Day (UE)– Since Maria Montessori was from Italy and it is shaped like a boot, students can wear their boots!
- Europe Research Presentations (UE) for Bosnia-Herzegovina, Hungary, and Sweden. (Displays will be in the hallway all week.)
Thursday, Feb. 28
- Accessorize with Montessori materials (UE) – Make your own bracelets, necklaces or design your own t-shirt to represent the pink tower, bead bars, checkerboard, grammar symbols. Be creative!
- Maria Montessori skits (LE) – The Spirit Committee will present a skit on Maria’s life.
- Europe Research Presentations (UE) for Croatia, Greece, and Italy. (Displays will be in the hallway all week.)
Friday, March 1
- Dress Like Maria Day (UE) – Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, so show your appreciation by dressing like Maria Montessori.
- Europe Research Presentations (UE) for Slovenia and Denmark. (Displays will be in the hallway all week.)
- Toledo Campus Sing-a-long – Little House through Middle School will come together for a school-wide sing-a-long with Risa in the commons. If you aren’t dressing up like Maria, come in your favorite West Side Montessori shirt or green and white!